The prime objectives of MEMENTO are:
1. Collect available N2O and CH4 data from the global ocean (both open and coastal), sourcing both peer reviewed publications and unpublished reports;
2. Archive the data in MEMENTO with open access for the scientific community;
3. Compute global fields of dissolved N2O/CH4 concentrations as well as air-sea fluxes in both open and coastal ocean;
4. Publish the database and the derived flux data with a wide authorship inclusive of the data originators;
5. Keep the database "live" into the future by widely publicising its availability and encouraging data submission following their prior release to the public domain.